Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Script Frenzy arrives in April!!


I was chatting online with a friend of mine about 12:30 Sunday morning (3/19) when she told me that ScriptFrenzy, the script writing contest created by the people at NaNoWriMo was in April!!! I thought it was in July and that I had plenty of time to work on my story - plot, characters, etc. I was going to use my word count for that month (700 words/day) to write at least one 100 page script. But it's next month!!!!! What am I going to do??????

I'm going crazy trying to learn how to structure a script. I've read various books, websites, magazine articles and I have decided that I do not have the time to successfully plot out a screen play. Will that stop me from participating in ScriptFrenzy? NO WAY!

My plan is to just start writing different scenes. As long as I have 100 script pages by the end of the month, I'll be happy. Nothing in the rules says anything about the quality of the script. I know there if a format, but I'm such a loser I was totally unprepared for this year's contest.

I've also just returned from a conference in Philadelphia. My university uses Banner so the company that makes this database, SunGard, hosted their annual summit. First time for me to attend and I had a blast. I went with three co-workers, flying out on Saturday (3/21) and returning on Thursday (3/26) and since I had already been gone four days that week, I took Friday as a vacation day. Whew. So I had no chance to work on my script idea and structure. 

I also didn't write for three days while I was gone. I started out great, handwriting my daily quota, since I didn't take my computer (my iPod Touch was used a lot though to surf the web) and one night I actually forgot to write. I was disappointed with myself. I ended up skipping the next night, my last night in Philly, and skipping Thursday night as well after I returned home. I finally told myself I needed a break. I wasn't writing to win a prize. I'm attempting to make writing a habit and I think I have done a good job of that. So I may take a few more breaks in the coming months.

So my plans are to participate in ScriptFrenzy, writing 100 pages of a terrible script, but that's OK. I'm happy to just be writing, and to feel the creativeness finally bubbling up and escaping. I've mentioned to a few friends that my stories were trapped by my laziness and if I ever popped that cork, I would have an unending flow of words pouring out and onto the paper.

I'm sure you're wondering about the photo I included. That is a picture of my sewing machine. I finally drug it out of it's case and bought the piece I needed to fix it (two of them actually.) I think April's word count will be about a seamstress/costumer who gets involved with a small town cop solving a cold case. I've had this particular idea for over 10 years. Actually, I don't think I've worked on it since I left my job as a police dispatcher in 1998. 

I came across an article in a newspaper while on vacation about a woman who made wedding gowns. That got me started on a story about Maggie, a seamstress who previously worked in the costume department at a movie production company and who now had her own business creating custom clothing. 

My creativity in writing has spilled over into other areas of my life, causing me to get back into sewing (currently making a pillowcase for the first time) and to start knitting. Those crafts will in turn inspire more writing, creating a beautiful circle of creativeness.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh your blog always inspires me to be more creative in my everyday life...thank you!

And oh yeah...one more day!!!!

whoo hoo

G

Lisa said...

I'm so glad you are spilling over with creativity! :D

Scripts are a piece of cake...





muhahahahaha